Thursday, August 23, 2007

Song of Amergin

The Song of Amergin is thought to be the oldest recorded poem in Ireland. Written at the time of the Melisian invasion, Amergin’s words reflect how Druids are one with the world around them.

The Milesians came to Ireland from Spain, about 1530 B.C.E. and displaced the Tuatha de Danaan who had control of the island at that time. Three druids, Uar, Eithear, and Amergin, led the Milesians to Ireland. Amergin was among the most influential of the Druids and is referred to as the first Druid of the Gaels in the Book of Invasions.

The Milesians landed at Kerry and proceeded to Tara where they met the Kings of the Tuatha de Danaan who objected to the arrival of the Milesians. Amergin agreed that he and his companions would leave the island. The De Danaan took advantage of this and had their Druids raise a fierce storm that scattered the Milesian fleet. Amergin used his druidic skills to calm the storm and the Milesians landed again. This time, Amergin's first words upon landing were the poem known today as the Song of Amergin. The Milesians landed in Ireland on Beltaine and defeated the Tuatha de Danaan three days later.



Song of Amergin


I am a wind of the sea,

I am a wave of the sea,

I am a sound of the sea,

I am an ox of seven fights,

I am a stag of seven tines,

I am a wild flood on a plain,

I am a wind on deep waters.

I am a shining tears of the sun,

I am a wonder among flowers,

I am a lure from paradise,

I am a hawk on a cliff,

I am a salmon in a pool,

I am a hill where poets walk,

I am the one who forms smoke from sacred fire,

I am the one who sets a fire in the head.

I am a boar ruthless and red,

I am a spear that roars for blood,

I am a tide that drags to the death,

I am a breaker threatening doom,

I am an ancient rock atop standing stones.

I am a babe birthing through an unhewn arch.

I am the womb of every holt,

I am the blaze on every hill,

I am the queen of every hive,

I am the shield for every head,

I am the tomb of every hope.



No comments: